What “can’t” you do? Chances are that the list of things you can’t do is greater than the list of things you can do. While there are natural limitations we all face, I know I make my personal list of “can’t” muchbigger than it has to be. Without being aware of it, I find myself stuck in a rut of thought. It becomes a tightly confining box that limits my horizons and what I conceive as possible and impossible. How are you making your list of “can’t” bigger than it has to be?
This week we are looking at Nicodemus who came to Jesus late one night (see John 3:1-17). It turns out he was trapped in his own list of “can’t” and couldn’t see what Jesus was offering him. I don’t want you to miss a single thing that God is offering you! As we worship this weekend we’ll look carefully at what God can do and how our relationship with God directly effects what we can and can’t do. Be sure to invite someone to come to worship with you. This is a message you’ll want to share!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider the following opportunities as invitation from God to you to be more involved in God’s work through Sunrise Church:
- Please join me in prayer for Sunriser Mark Swindell who is home recovering from serious surgery to his leg and ankle. Please pray for Barbara Miller (mother of Adam Miller) who suffered a serious fall while sick with the flu. Barbara is home and recuperating. Please pray for the family of Sunriser Janet Hoffman. A memorial service will be at Sunrise Church on Saturday March 18 @ 10 AM. For more information see: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/obituary.aspx?n=janet-hoffmann&pid=184324003.
- We need you to “like” us! This may be the EASIEST job at Sunrise! Be a part of our social media evangelism: Every time you see a Sunrise post, like, share, or comment on it! Each time you do you help others see what’s happening at Sunrise. Even better, check in on Facebook when you’re here and tell friends why you love Sunrise. Every review, like, and share helps Sunrise to be shown to more and more people (https://www.facebook.com/SunriseUMC/)!
- Together we can build something big! – Please join us for a Church lunch immediately following the 11am service on March 12! Sub sandwiches will be provided by the Nurture Committee. We are just asking for a small donation to support Habitat for Humanity. The offering will be used to cover costs of materials and supplies for the house we are building in Holly Springs! Can’t make the lunch but still want to support the Habitat build in Holly Springs? No big deal! Just place your gift in the offering plate and clearly mark it for Habitat for Humanity!
- Habitat for Humanity – a new Sunrise Partnership! Sunrise is partnering with other area churches to build a house with Habitat for Humanity right here in Holly Springs. Please go to mysunrise.org/h4h for updates or to sign up to help. Volunteers are particularly needed for the workday on Saturday March 18.
- Calling all parents! Sunrise Preschool is hosting a Parent Education Workshop by Project Enlightenment with John Panepinto on March 24th from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. “I’ve Tried Everything…Now Try 5 Keys to Positive Discipline” Without these keys to discipline, parents feel off track or as if nothing works! Restore your confidence in your parenting as you learn: 1) why children do not respond to certain parenting practices and 2) what discipline really works, why it works, and steps to make it work. This workshop is free to parents of young children. You must register to attend as space is limited. To register, contact Preschool Director, Kim Sain at email@example.com.
- Join Fellow Sunrisers for a night of Fun! March 25th from 6:30 – 8:30 PM we’re hosting a game night. There will be pizza and plenty of games ranging from cards (non-gambling games) to “minute to win it” games and board games. This is one night you won’t want to miss! For more information please see John Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Easter Celebration & Egg Hunt volunteers and donations needed! The Easter Celebration & Egg Hunt will take place April 8 from 10-11:30am. We are looking for volunteers to work at the different stations as well as donations to help make this event successful. If you can help out, please see the sign-up sheets for volunteers and donations in the lobby. Donations will be due by March 26th and can be placed in Pastor Jen’s office. Contact Pastor Jen (email@example.com), Mary Moss (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tracey Bailey (email@example.com) for more information.
- Get the “Big Picture” of the New Testament: a new Bible Study beginning Wednesday March 22 at 7 PM (at Sunrise). This new study is perfect for the “beginner” in faith as well as the long time member. For more information see Ann Lawton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ASP Silent Auction and Dinner — We need your help to collect items for our silent auction to benefit ASP! If you have items or a connection with a local business, please let Pastor Jen (email@example.com) know so that we can grow our list! Save the date for April 9th!
- Help feed the hungry in Holly Springs! The Sunrise Preschool is inviting us to join them in special collections each week for the Holly Springs Food Cupboard. Our requested donations this week are for sauces and dried beans. Just leave items in the collection buggy in the lobby the next time you’re at Sunrise Church. For more information visit: http://www.hsfoodcupboard.org/.
We’re Called to Connect– How can YOU connect with someone this week? Inviting them to worship is a great way to connect! I look forward to connecting with you this weekend!
Peace & Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor