The People’s Choice: sometimes it is an award and sometimes it is the outcome of an election. In any case, it represents the collective will of a gathered group. At a show, it is always the most coveted and prized award. What are we choosing with our collective will today? If the headlines are any indication, it is more violence and division. For all the changes in culture and technology, people haven’t changed at their core. It was nearly 2,000 years ago that the people of Israel made an important choice. Their choice reached further than any election or show. In Matthew 21:1-11 we find the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem on a day we now call Palm Sunday. Their choice was to focus on Jesus and to praise him with songs, loud shouts of “Hosanna!” and the waving of palm branches. The city was packed for the Passover Feast and nearly everyone turned out…it was the People’s Choice and they made it big, bold and loud!
For a few moments, the city of peace actually knew peace! Sadly, within a few days the people would be stirred to make a different choice and call for the release of a prisoner named Barabbas and the crucifixion of Jesus in his place. What choices are we making? What choices are you making? Be sure to worship this weekend and we’ll explore good, better and best choices that we can make as individuals and as a people. I hope you’ll bring someone with you to worship…this will be an uplifting message designed to help us make choices to bring more joy and peace to our lives!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider the following opportunities available at Sunrise Church as invitations from God to you:
- Check out our April Daybreak (The Sunrise Church monthly newsletter) published earlier this week: http://wp.me/p3kDwQ-1om.
- With Love from Jesus is an outreach ministry that distributes food and other items to qualified recipients in southern Wake County. We offer a team each first Friday of the month that serves for about 4 hours. Our next service opportunity will be Friday, April 7th. For more information or to volunteer, contact Bob Holm at email@example.com (please note Bob’s new address!).
- Easter Celebration & Egg Hunt This Saturday: from 10-11:30am. Come and bring kids for a totally awesome Easter experience including a visit from the Easter Bunny and lots of eggs to find! Your invitation is a powerful tool and we hope you’ll come and invite your friends, neighbors and co-workers to come too (we have a Facebook Event that makes it easy to share and invite from your friend’s list). For more information or to help on Saturday (the men have offered breakfast at 8:30 to all helpers!), please contact Pastor Jen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mary Moss (email@example.com) or Tracey Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ASP Silent Auction and Dinner on April 9! Come hungry for some awesome spaghetti and a desire to bid on some of the amazing things that have been donated for our auction! We have many things that would interest a NC State Fan and many other things most anyone would love to have. All proceeds benefit our ASP trip. For a full list of items or to volunteer to help in any way, please contact Pastor Jen (email@example.com).
- Help feed the hungry in Holly Springs! The SunrisePreschool is inviting us to join them in special collections each week for the Holly Springs Food Cupboard. Our requested donations this week are for canned meats. Just leave items in the collection buggy in the lobby the next time you’re at SunriseChurch. For more information visit: http://www.hsfoodcupboard.org/
- Special Services for Holy Week: We have prayerfully designed worship experiences for the important milestones for Easter week. Join us for one or all of the following events: Maundy Thursday (April 13) Upper Room Drama at 7 PMwhere actors from Sunrise Men’s Ministry will act out the events that unfolded the night before Jesus was crucified. Good Friday (April 14) Reflection from 6:30-8:30 PM: Join us for this contemplative time where Sunrisers are invited to come and go as their schedules and worship needs dictate. This will be a powerful, quiet and meditative experience designed to bring you to the foot of Jesus’ cross. Holy Saturday (April 15) ReFuel and service of Tenebrae at 5:05 PM will lead worshippers in confession of sin and a closer relationship with our crucified Lord. Easter Sunday (April 16) join us for an Easter Sunrise Service at Douglas Chapel AMEZ Church at 6:30 AM with the Holly Springs community as well as for our regular services at Sunrise Church at 8:30 and 11 AM where we’ll celebrate the resurrection of Jesus!
- We need you to “like” us! This may be the EASIEST job at Sunrise! Be a part of our social media evangelism: Every time you see a Sunrise post, like, share, or comment on it! Each time you do you help others see what’s happening at Sunrise. Even better, check in on Facebook when you’re here and tell friends why you love Sunrise. Every review, like, and share helps Sunrise to be shown to more and more people (https://www.facebook.com/
- Are you Ready to grow Spiritually and see God do amazing things through you? Are you a “people person” who loves helping others know Christ? Are you open to perhaps leading a Life Group next fall? Contact Ann Lawton for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- We are going back to Haiti! Sunrise is sending a mission team back to Haiti this summer. You may not be able to go in person but you can show the love of Christ for the people of Haiti by supporting our Yard and Bake Sale April 29. Yard sale donations, including clothes are needed and appreciated. We are also in need of bake sale items including cakes and cookies. Please drop off yard and bake sale items between 2:00-9:00 pm Friday April 28. If you have yard sale items that need to be dropped off in advance please contact Matt Raymondi at 919-608-7560 or email@example.com. He has graciously offered to store items in his garage. If you have questions about the Bake Sale please contact Paige Mileski at 919-267-5634 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the movement to end hunger! Sunrise will once again host a Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging event on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Sunrise has been partnering with Rise Against Hunger/ Stop Hunger Now since 2009 to fight world hunger. Each Spring, we package approximately 10,000 meals to be sent to areas of need. Last year, our meals went to impoverished children at schools in Uganda. This year, thanks to a generous donation from the Sunrise Youth, we will be packaging approximately 12,100 meals!! There is no cost to participate, it is fully funded by the Missions Committee (and the Youth). This event is also open to all ages! A webpage has been created for our event at http://events.stophungernow.
org/MySunrise. Registration is MANDATORY for all participants. If you have any questions, please contact Ryan Brummeyer at email@example.com.
With whom will you share this message? Evangelism can be as simple as a forwarded email and an invitation to worship together this weekend!