I can’t stop! I keep doing it anyway! An old English proverb says “worry is like a rocking chair: they both give you something to do but they don’t get you anywhere.” Do you worry too? The economy, terrorism, global warming, what to eat for dinner tonight! There is no shortage of things to worry about and for all the time I spend worrying, I am not moving forward. It is also said that “worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, only today of its joy.” This week we will look at what Jesus had to say about worry in Matthew 6:25-34. God’s advice is always timely and will help us move from worry to hope and from fear to joy. I know I’d rather hope with joy than worry with fear. What about you? Do you want a little of God’s Compound W for the worry wart in you? Be sure to worship this weekend and together we’ll get our worry warts removed with God’s help. Be sure to invite friends and acquaintances to come too…there’s plenty of God’s Compound W for everyone!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider these opportunities as invitations from God to you:
- Let’s get ready to welcome our new pastor: John Michael McAllister! Begin right now by praying for Pastor John Michael and his wife. Ask God to bless them and help them accomplish the tremendous amount of things necessary for them to finish strong at Trinity UMC and be ready to begin at Sunrise Church on June 27. We’ll need people ready to help him move boxes and other items into the parsonage on moving day (June 27) and help providing meals for at least the first few days so the McAllisters can devote their full attention to setting up their new home. Stay tuned for more information including a special welcome celebration in their honor. Please pray also for Joshua and me as we are preparing to serve Asbury UMC in north Raleigh. We are having to secure our own housing and furnishings as Asbury does not have a parsonage. We are sad about having to leave so many friends who are like family to us at Sunrise, even as we are eager to begin serving God through Asbury UMC.
- Are you Ready to grow Spiritually and see God do amazing things through you? Are you a “people person” who loves helping others know Christ? Are you open to perhaps leading a Life Group next fall? Contact Ann Lawton for more information (email@example.com).
- We are going back to Haiti! Sunrise is sending a mission team back to Haiti this summer. You may not be able to go in person but you can show the love of Christ for the people of Haiti by supporting our Yard and Bake Sale April 29. Yard sale donations, including clothes, are needed and appreciated. We are also in need of bake sale items including cakes and cookies. Please drop off yard and bake sale items between 2:00-9:00 pm Friday April 28. If you need to drop off yard sale items in advance, please contact Matt Raymondi at 919-608-7560 or firstname.lastname@example.org. He has graciously offered to store items in his garage. If you have questions about the Bake Sale please contact Paige Mileski at 919-267-5634 or email@example.com.
- You can make a difference! This weekend we’ll celebrate Native American Ministries and receive a special offering at each service to benefit ministry to and with Native Americans. To learn more visit: http://www.umcgiving.org/impact-articles/celebrating-native-american-presence-in-the-united-methodist-church or watch a brief video at https://youtu.be/dkzm7yTF040.
- Join the team and help end hunger in Wake County! With Love from Jesus is an outreach ministry that distributes food and other items to qualified recipients in southern Wake County. We will be offering a team Friday May 5th. We’ll serve for about 4 hours and leave the church about 8:15 AM. For more information, to volunteer, or to secure your ride, contact Bob Holm (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All Sunrisers are invited to “Love Your Church Day” event on Saturday May 6 from 8am-1pm. Let’s roll up our sleeves together to beautify, organize, and clean up around the church…and enjoy a little fellowship too! For a full listing of jobs, both inside and out, and to sign up, please go to mysunrise.org/loveyourchurch. For more information contact Mike Barker at email@example.com.
- Men’s BBQ on May 12th! Join the Men of Sunrise Church as we offer delicious Eastern NC style pork BBQ plates with all the “fixin’s” plus dessert for just $9 (kids plates available for $4 with optional hot dog & chips). All proceeds benefit mission and ministry. Eat in or take-out from 11 AM until 7 PM. More information is coming. Helpers will be needed in a variety of roles. To volunteer to get the latest updates please contact James Bingham (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure also to c heck out our Facebook event for the BBQ and either click “like” or tell us you’re coming. With 100 RSVP’s we will begin to get a lot more exposure to people in Holly Springs through Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/events/157616798098047/.
- Join the movement to end hunger! Sunrise will once again host a Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging event on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Sunrise has been partnering with Rise Against Hunger/ Stop Hunger Now since 2009 to fight world hunger. Each Spring, we package approximately 10,000 meals to be sent to areas of need. Last year, our meals went to impoverished children at schools in Uganda. This year, thanks to a generous donation from the Sunrise Youth, we will be packaging approximately 12,100 meals!! There is no cost to participate, it is fully funded by the Missions Committee (and the Youth). This event is also open to all ages! A webpage has been created for our event at http://events.stophungernow.org/MySunrise. Registration is MANDATORY for all participants. If you have any questions, please contact Ryan Brummeyer at email@example.com.
- Help make it a special time for someone with special needs! The Holly Springs Civitan Club and Sunrise UMC are partnering to host the 2017 Steppin’ Out Dance on Friday, May 19. The annual dance is for individuals with special needs. Volunteer registration is now open. If you would like to donate your time, please contact Laura (JLRabon3@aol.com) or Mary Kay Calloway (firstname.lastname@example.org). Volunteer opportunities are open to ages 14 and up.
- Vacation Bible School will be here June 19-22nd– 5:30-8:00pm (including dinner!) – Get more information, watch a preview video, and register online at mysunrise.org/VBS.
With whom will you share this message? Evangelism can be as simple as a forwarded email and an invitation to worship together this weekend!
Peace and Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor