She was hopelessly devoted, or so sang Olivia Newton John in the movie Grease (https://youtu.be/3sqNCrA79XA ). Sandy loved Danny and would’ve done anything for him, and just about did. When we think about total devotion we often think about romance…and we should be totally devoted to the ones we love. Ever think about that kind of devotion to God? In Acts 2:42-47 we hear that the early church devoted themselves to the Apostles’ teaching and to each other. I wonder what that looked like? It must have been beautiful as the Bible reports many were attracted to the early church because of their devotion to God and one another. Total devotion is rare in any day and time and is sure to get noticed. Division and distrust we know all too well but being totally devoted…that’s rare! I wonder what might happen if you and I were totally devoted to God and one another? This weekend we are looking at our devotion to God and the dividends our devotion may bring to us and to those around us. Be sure to worship and to bring friends with you!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider the following opportunities as invitations from God to you:
- Please join me in prayer for our new pastor: John Michael McAllister! Pastor John Michael will begin serving Sunrise on June 27 and his first weekend leading worship will be July 1 & 2. Stay tuned for more information including a special welcome celebration in their honor. Please pray also for Joshua and me as we are preparing to serve Asbury UMC in north Raleigh. We are having to secure our own housing and furnishings as Asbury does not have a parsonage. We are sad about having to leave so many friends who are like family to us at Sunrise, even as we are eager to begin serving God through Asbury UMC. My last weekend leading worship will be June 10 and 11. Please pray also for Sunriser Melanie Penny who is having surgery today (May 4) in Raleigh and for Sunriser Mark Drummond and family as Mark’s mom is expected to “out run us to The Father’s House” in the coming hours. Please pray for Jean Wall (Aunt to Sally Puckett and Great Aunt to Tara Sauls) who is under hospice care and not doing well.
- Are you Ready to grow Spiritually and see God do amazing things through you? Are you a “people person” who loves helping others know Christ? Are you open to perhaps leading a Life Group next fall? Contact Ann Lawton for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Join the team and help end hunger in Wake County! With Love from Jesus is an outreach ministry that distributes food and other items to qualified recipients in southern Wake County. We will be offering a team Friday May 5th. We’ll serve for about 4 hours and leave the church about 8:15 AM. For more information, to volunteer, or to secure your ride, contact Bob Holm (email@example.com).
- All Sunrisers are invited to “Love Your Church Day” event on Saturday May 6 from 8am-1pm. Let’s roll up our sleeves together to beautify, organize, and clean up around the church…and enjoy a little fellowship too! For a full listing of jobs, both inside and out, and to sign up, please go to mysunrise.org/loveyourchurch. For more information contact Mike Barker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Geared Up for VBS! Help support us with donations. VBS requires a variety of supplies – those are listed on gears on the table in the lobby. Please consider taking one or two and purchasing the items for use at this year’s VBS. All items need to be back to Pastor Jen (left on her desk or in the office) as soon as possible, or by May 30th. Monetary donations to help with the dinners, daily gifts, and decorations are also appreciated! For more information please contact Pastor Jen at email@example.com.
- Men’s BBQ on May 12th! Join the Men of Sunrise Church as we offer delicious Eastern NC style pork BBQ plates with all the “fixin’s” plus dessert for just $9 (kids plates available for $4 with optional hot dog & chips). All proceeds benefit mission and ministry. Eat in or take-out from 11 AM until 7 PM. More information is coming. Helpers will be needed in a variety of roles. To volunteer to get the latest updates please contact James Bingham (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure also to check out our Facebook event for the BBQ and either click “like” or tell us you’re coming. With 100 RSVP’s we will begin to get a lot more exposure to people in Holly Springs through Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/events/157616798098047/.
- Join the movement to end hunger! Sunrise will once again host a Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging event on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Sunrise has been partnering with Rise Against Hunger/ Stop Hunger Now since 2009 to fight world hunger. Each Spring, we package approximately 10,000 meals to be sent to areas of need. Last year, our meals went to impoverished children at schools in Uganda. This year, thanks to a generous donation from the Sunrise Youth, we will be packaging approximately 12,100 meals!! There is no cost to participate and fully funded by the Missions Committee (and the Youth). This event is also open to all ages! A webpage has been created for our event at http://events.stophungernow.org/MySunrise. Registration is MANDATORY for all participants. If you have any questions, please contact Ryan Brummeyer at email@example.com.
- Help make it a special time for someone with special needs! The Holly Springs Civitan Club and Sunrise UMC are partnering to host the 2017 Steppin’ Out Dance on Friday, May 19. The annual dance is for individuals with special needs. Volunteer registration is now open. If you would like to donate your time, please contact Laura (JLRabon3@aol.com) or Mary Kay Calloway (firstname.lastname@example.org). Volunteer opportunities are open for ages 14 and up.
- Youth Led Worship May 21! The youth of Sunrise Church will be leading worship and Fireproof will be offering music. Be sure to come and bring friends too as we celebrate what God is doing in and through our youth!
- Vacation Bible School will be here June 19-22nd– 5:30-8:00pm (including dinner!) – Get more information, watch a preview video, and register online at mysunrise.org/VBS.
With whom will you share this message? Evangelism can be as simple as a forwarded email and an invitation to worship together this weekend!
Peace & Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor