This is Mothers’ Day Weekend and it is a time of mixed emotions. Some will mourn the loss of our greatest supporter. Others will spend precious time with the ones we love. Some will mourn children who’ve outrun us to The Father’s House and some will mourn children they couldn’t have. We are all united in this; God’s maternal love is great enough to hold us all in pain and in laughter, all through the day and night time too. One of the best things about God’s maternal love is how it sacrifices for our good. This week we will read Acts 7:55-60 and see how God’s love was powerful enough to hold Stephen as he made the ultimate sacrifice for his faith. Each day we spend our minutes and can never get them back. For what and for whom are we spending our minutes and days and years? This Mothers’ Day I invite you to worship with me and other Sunrisers. We’ll celebrate what’s best about motherhood and what our best response may be for the love and sacrifice God has made to give our lives ultimate purpose and meaning. Be sure to invite friends and acquaintances…they’ll be glad you did!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider the following opportunities at Sunrise Church as invitations from God to you:
- Please join me in prayer for our new pastor: John Michael McAllister! Pastor John Michael will begin serving Sunrise on June 27 and his first weekend leading worship will be July 1 & 2. Stay tuned for more information including a special welcome celebration in his honor. Please pray also for Joshua and me as we are preparing to serve Asbury UMC in north Raleigh. We are sad about having to leave so many friends who are like family to us at Sunrise, even as we are eager to begin serving God through Asbury UMC. My last weekend leading worship will be June 10 and 11. Please pray also for Sunriser Melanie Penny who had her last cancer related surgery on Tuesday and is home recovering and for Sunriser Mark Drummond and family as Mark’s mom “outran us to The Father’s House” and was laid to rest this past Saturday. Please continue to pray for Jean Wall (Aunt to Sally Puckett and Great Aunt to Tara Sauls) who is under hospice care and not doing well.
- You can make a difference! This weekend we’ll be receiving a special offering for The Methodist Retirement Homes. You can really make a difference! For more information please visit: https://www.umrh.org/mothers-day-offering.
- Are you Ready to grow Spiritually and see God do amazing things through you? Are you a “people person” who loves helping others know Christ? Are you open to perhaps leading a Life Group next fall? Contact Ann Lawton for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Get Geared Up for VBS! Help support us with donations. VBS requires a variety of supplies – those are listed on gears on the table in the lobby. Please consider taking one or two and purchasing the items for use at this year’s VBS. All items need to be back to Pastor Jen (left on her desk or in the office) as soon as possible, or by May 30th. Monetary donations to help with the dinners, daily gifts, and decorations are also appreciated! For more information please contact Pastor Jen at email@example.com.
- Men’s BBQ on May 12th! Join the Men of Sunrise Church as we offer delicious Eastern NC style pork BBQ plates with all the “fixin’s” plus dessert for just $9 (kids plates available for $4 with optional hot dog & chips). All proceeds benefit mission and ministry. Eat in or take-out from 11 AM until 7 PM. To volunteer or to get the latest update, please contact James Bingham (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure also to check out our Facebook event for the BBQ and either click “like” or tell us you’re coming. With every like or RSVP we get more exposure to people in Holly Springs through Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/events/157616798098047/.
- Join the movement to end hunger! Sunrise will once again host a Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging event on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Sunrise has been partnering with Rise Against Hunger/ Stop Hunger Now since 2009 to fight world hunger. Each Spring, we package approximately 10,000 meals to be sent to areas of need. Last year, our meals went to impoverished children at schools in Uganda. This year, thanks to a generous donation from the Sunrise Youth, we will be packaging approximately 12,100 meals!! There is no cost to participate (fully funded by the Missions Committee and the Youth). This event is also open to all ages! A webpage has been created for our event at http://events.stophungernow.org/MySunrise. Registration is MANDATORY for all participants. If you have any questions, please contact Ryan Brummeyer at email@example.com.
- Help make it a special time for someone with special needs! The Holly Springs Civitan Club and Sunrise UMC are partnering to host the 2017 Steppin’ Out Dance on Friday, May 19. The annual dance is for individuals with special needs. Volunteer registration is now open. If you would like to donate your time, please contact Laura (JLRabon3@aol.com) or Mary Kay Calloway (firstname.lastname@example.org). Volunteer opportunities are open for ages 14 and up.
- Youth Led Worship May 21! The youth of Sunrise Church will be leading worship and Fireproof will be offering music. Be sure to come and bring friends too as we celebrate what God is doing in and through our youth!
- Traffic delays are expected Sunday morning June 4th for the annual 1/2 Ironman event. The bicycle route takes bikers right by Sunrise Church mostly between 9 AM and 12:30 PM. The route has stayed the same this year with bikers travelling on Sunset Lake Road from Bass Lake Road to Optimist Farm Road (to see the route please visit: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/raleigh/race-info/course.aspx#axzz4giobPOHM). Please leave early to make it to church on time. If you have been thinking about trying the Saturday service, this will be a great week to do that as there will be no traffic delays on Saturday. ReFuel service begins at 5:05 PM.
- Vacation Bible School will be here June 19-22nd– 5:30-8:00pm (including dinner!) – Get more information, watch a preview video, and register online at mysunrise.org/VBS.
With whom will you share this message? Evangelism can be as simple as a forwarded email and an invitation to worship together this weekend!
Peace and Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor