You belong and that’s great news!! At Sunrise Church we celebrate how everyone belongs in God’s family. We have many jobs, different gift sets, we look different and we even have differing points of view. However, we all love alike and we are all alike loved by Our Father. This week we are looking at John 17:6-23 where Jesus is praying with his disciples at the Last Supper. He is praying for all the disciples and all those who will believe because of the disciples’ Holy Spirit empowered work. Jesus prays that they may all be “one” as he is “one” with the Father and Holy Spirit. Where have you experienced “oneness” with God and other believers? How are you cultivating unity in Jesus’ name? This week our youth will lead us through most aspects of worship at each of our services. We will be given opportunities to draw closer to one another and to God. We expect lives to be changed, and relationships healed and perhaps souls to be saved. This will be a great weekend of worship and you won’t want to miss it! Make plans now to be in worship at one or more services and bring friends, family and co-workers. They’ll be glad you did!
As our times of worship draw near, please consider the following opportunities as invitations from God to you to be more involved in God’s work through Sunrise Church:
- Please join me in prayer for our new pastor: John Michael McAllister! Pastor John Michael will begin serving Sunrise on June 27 and his first weekend leading worship will be July 1 & 2. Stay tuned for more information including a special welcome celebration in his honor. Please pray also for Joshua and me as we are preparing to serve Asbury UMC in north Raleigh. We are sad about having to leave so many friends who are like family to us at Sunrise, even as we are eager to begin serving God through Asbury UMC. My last weekend leading worship will be June 10 and 11. Please pray also for Sunriser Tim O’Daniel on the loss of his aunt Glad Sain and Jean Wall (Aunt to Sally Puckett and Great Aunt to Tara Sauls) who is under hospice care and not doing well.
- Release a Child from Hunger and Poverty in Jesus’ name! Founded in 1952, Compassion International is a Christian child-development and child-advocacy ministry dedicated to helping over 1.8 million children in need worldwide. Compassion’s child sponsorship programs help empower children to become free from hunger and become responsible, fulfilled adults. You can help transform the lives of children in need by sponsoring a child. Please see James Bingham (email@example.com) at the table set up in the lobby for more information on how to sponsor a child or visit: https://vimeo.com/196467579.
- Be Like Jesus and Save a Life…or 3! The Rex Bloodmobile will be at Sunrise this Monday May 22 from 3-7 PM. Walk-ins are welcome but to reduce wait times we are encouraged to sign-up at mysign-up.com/sunriseblooddrive and/or the sign-up sheet in the lobby. Each pint of blood donated may save up to 3 lives and also reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke for the donor.
- Get Geared Up for VBS! Help support us with donations. VBS requires a variety of supplies – those are listed on gears on the table in the lobby. Please consider taking one or two and purchasing the items for use at this year’s VBS. All items need to be back to Pastor Jen (left on her desk or in the office) as soon as possible, or by May 30th. Monetary donations to help with the dinners, daily gifts, and decorations are also appreciated! For more information, please contact Pastor Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Congrats Grads! If you have a child who is graduating this year, please let Pastor Jen (email@example.com) know so they can be listed in the bulletin on June 4th. (Name, School, Degree if applicable).
- Traffic delays are expected Sunday morning June 4th for the annual 1/2 Ironman event. The bicycle route takes bikers right by Sunrise Church mostly between 9 AM and 12:30 PM. The route has stayed the same this year with bikers travelling on Sunset Lake Road from Bass Lake Road to Optimist Farm Road (to see the route please visit: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/raleigh/race-info/course.aspx#axzz4giobPOHM). Please leave early to make it to church on time. If you have been thinking about trying the Saturday service, this will be a great week to do that as there will be no traffic delays on Saturday. ReFuel service begins at 5:05 PM.
- Youth to help to end hunger around the world! Sunrise UMC and Holly Springs UMC are partnering together on June 9th and 10th to host the 30 Hour Famine. Participants will begin their fast on their own at 11:30am on Friday and our event will begin at 6pm Friday and conclude with closing worship and a potluck on Saturday evening. Participants are encouraged to fundraise to support World Vision in their efforts to end hunger around the world. We will spend our time learning the realities of hunger both here in Holly Springs and worldwide. This event is geared towards middle schoolers but we will need several high schoolers to help lead our groups! Contact Pastor Jen (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get registered and get a fundraising packet!
- Vacation Bible School will be here June 19-22nd– 5:30-8:00pm (including dinner!) – Get more information, watch a preview video, and register online at mysunrise.org/VBS.
- Save your recycling to help VBS! VBS needs some interesting items this year– we need a variety of cardboard boxes and empty, clean tin cans – big or small! We’re also looking for some other supplies – help us get “Geared Up” for VBS by picking up a supply gear from the VBS Table in the lobby and returning the supplies to Pastor Jen’s office ASAP.
- Men’s Chorus for Father’s Day, June 18th. Rehearsals will be Wednesday, June 14, at 7pm and Saturday, June 17, at 10am. ALL men of the church are invited to sing! See Chris Johnson (email@example.com) for details.
With whom will you share this message? Evangelism can be as simple as a forwarded email and an invitation to worship together this weekend!
Peace & Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor