Fireproof! They are one of the best things God is doing not just at Sunrise Church but in our whole Annual Conference! They are on tour this week and will be returning home on Friday (6/16) with stories to share from the road. Last week they provided to the music for our Sunday services. This week they will provide the message at each of our worship services. I want you to come and not only support our amazing young people and their leaders, but also to hear a word from God. Worship shapes us and changes us. God has something special for you this weekend and I don’t want you to miss it! Be sure to invite friends, neighbors, co-workers and anybody else you meet between now and worship time…they’ll be glad you did!!
This is normally the space where I offer weekly updates but before I do that, I wanted to say a special word of thanksgiving for each of you. Next week Ann Lawton has volunteered to author this message as I and other staff will be away at various functions (vacation for me!). After that, your new pastor, Rev. John Michael McAllister, will author these communications. He’s awesome and you’ll be in the most capable hands. You’re awesome and I just wanted you to know it. You have blessed me, nourished me and loved me. You have made me a better man, father, person and pastor. You have left your mark on me in the best of ways and now, as I go forth to lead different congregations, I’ll share all the best you’ve given me. I hope that perhaps, you too are better and will share differently and more powerfully because of the time we spent in person, in worship and on-line!
Please consider the following opportunities as invitations from God to you to be more involved in God’s work through Sunrise Church:
- Please join me in prayer for Bob and Nancy Holm as Nancy continues to make a recovery that is simply miraculous! We still need to limit visitors until Nancy is strong enough to have them (and to reduce risk of exposure to colds and other germs). Bob conveys his warmest appreciation for all the love and concern and prayers poured out for him and Nancy. Please also pray for Jean Wall, aunt of Sunriser Sally Puckett and great aunt of Sunriser Tara Sauls, who is under hospice care and for Janice Mustian who is at Carrillon.
- Want to help shape Children’s Sunday School at Sunrise? We’ll have a meeting for teachers (current or future!) as well as any interested parents to help decide the course for our Sunday School hour for our children going into the fall! Be part of the conversation on Sunday July 18th @ 12:15 PM – let Pastor Jen (email@example.com) know you’re coming so we can have a light lunch for everyone.
- Vacation Bible School starts Monday!! (June 19-22nd– 5:30-8:00pm including dinner!) – Get more information, watch a preview video, and register online at mysunrise.org/VBS.
- Men’s Chorus for Father’s Day, June 18th. Rehearsal will be Saturday, June 17, at 10am. ALL men of the church are invited to sing! See Chris Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
- Pray for Annual Conference: The NC Annual Conference will convene with clergy and lay delegates from all across the NC Annual Conference in Greenville, NC on June 16-18. Our pastors (Jen and Tom) will be joined by our lay delegates, Ernie Pearson and James Bingham. While Sunrise Church is a mission outpost, the NC Annual Conference is the official voice of the United Methodist Church in NC. Social issues will be discussed and a budget will be adopted that will empower mission and ministry for the ensuing year (2018).
- Fireproof to lead worship: Support our young people as they supply the message at all worship services on June 17 & 18. Fireproof will offer to Sunrise the exciting and meaningful message they delivered while on tour June 12 -16.
- Sunrisers are invited to a birthday celebration for Janice Mustian, on Sunday, June 25, from 2:00pm – 4:00pm at Carillon Assisted Living. Carillon is located at 6516 Johnson Pond Road, Fuquay, NC. Please gather in the Country Kitchen Room. Drop in at any time and wish Janice a Happy Birthday. No gifts please. For more information, contact Paula Kaiser at email@example.com or 919-753-8300.
- Join us for a Welcome Reception for our new pastor, Rev. John Michael McAllister on Sunday July 2 @ 9:30 AM. July 1 & 2 will be his first weekend leading worship at Sunrise and this will be a great time to meet him outside of worship and extend to him the warmest Sunrise welcome possible.
- Ladies: Reserve your spot now for our Women’s Beach Retreat on Oak Island this Sept. 22-24. Learn more about “Intimacy with God” (what it means to be the Bride of Christ and gain greater fullness in a relationship with him). The cost is $150.00 for the weekend. Please sign up soon as space is limited, and a deposit of $75 is due June 30. For more information contact Ann Lawton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ASP 2017 Group Meeting –All participants in ASP 2017 and their parents are asked to meet with Melanie Penny in Pod 3 on Sunday, June 25th, following the 11 am worship service. This is an important meeting for trip details, team formation, packing information, and final payments and forms. Contact Melanie (email@example.com) if you are unable to attend the meeting.
Peace & Partnership,
Tom Newman, pastor